This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I ask John to wait for me to go to Curves and then I would go help him put out hay. I was there as they opened up, got that done, came home and we were on our way. We counted seven places where a fire had been started on the side of the farm to market road. Looked like someone just went down the road throwing out matchs. It must have happened on a damp morning or the fire truck got there in time because the spots had not gone much past the fence. When we got to the ranch the cows still had hay so John wants them to finish up what they have in case it rains as the weatherman is promising. The cows were out grazing and didn't even say hello to us. They do have a little bit of green grass and some more rain would sure help. We filled the tank with water for the house and while that was being done we went to check the wild hog trap. Renter hasn't fixed the door or put out corn. Looks like he is tired of that game already. We observed the cactus is turning brown and is loaded with pear apples coming on. The mesquite trees are loaded with blooms. John says both of these things are a sign of a dry year. We went to the back forty just to see if anything is going on back there. I spotted the neatest exotic deer in the next property. It was light in color and had very wide tall thick horns. It wasn't as afraid of us as you would think so I guess it is used to people feeding it. A banker owns that property so he can have most anything he wants there. We ended up at John's daughter's house to see how she came out on her trip to sell goats at auction yesterday. They never think they make as much money as they should have when they sell their goats or cattle.

10 comments:

garnett109 said...

Texas is never dry is it?

Unknown said...

I am glad the fire did not spread, some people are so awful to try to start fires! I hope you get some rain. Dave was in Irvine, TX near Dallas I do not know if that is near you. He liked it and said the food was excellent. Have a good day :)

salemslot9 said...

match people=bad karma

sober white women said...

I think John is right, It is going to be a dry year here as well. We got a lot of rain this year, but not enough! LOL
Kelli

jack69 said...

funny how the tales of weather prediction get started. Some of them are pretty accurate. I remember last fall there was a lot of nuts. Dad always said that meant a hard winter, and it was pretty much a hard winter.
Yeah, The renter is probably saying, now I have done it, I am through. Consistancy is gone for the most part. Probably a little more work than he had planned. LOL

Take care, hope you are well. AND NOBODY EVER GETS WHAT THEY THOUGHT THEY SHOULD HAVE WHEN THEY SELL SOMETHING, It is a rule!
Jack

shirl72 said...

I can't believe the cows would not notice the
hands of their owners that feed them. Hope you get the rain you need. Everything is
blooming around NC and it is beautiful, but
we have had to much rain for me.

Shirl

Lynne said...

I hope they catch the culprits that started the fires. Terrible!

Janie said...

Sounds like you had a nice trip. Awww deer are pretty to me. We don't see them as often as you do; but enjoy seeing them when we do. Hope you have blessed week Paula. Janie

Missie said...

It's scary knowing someone tried to start fires like that.

Have a good week.

Gerry said...

yes, it was my experience that the cattlemen never thought they got enough for their cattle, so the bargaining must go about the same across the country. Ha. Gerry