This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tid Bits

Our new neighbor has been slow to friendship but he came over today and I didn't know who he was. Thought he was going to try to sell me something I didn't want. He introduced himself with no last name and said he was going out of town for a few days and would John or I get his paper in. I said be glad to. He kept standing there grinning so I ask him how he likes Texas. He said he loves it and you couldn't get him to move. He didn't move from the doorstep either and that surprised me. He wasn't making any effort at conversation or leaving so I ask how he likes this heat. He said actually I like it. Still grinning but not saying anything I felt a little awkard so I ask how he likes our neighborhood and he said he likes it. Not knowing what to say I chatted like a magpie about how the neighborhood was when we moved here and how it has grown. He listened and grinned and stood. Finally he said well I better let you get back to what you were doing. So I confirmed we would pick his paper up. I wonder if this will be a neighborly friendship after about eight months. Maybe he wanted to make sure we weren't axe murderers before he made the plunge. I guess it always payes to be careful but we Texans usually plow right in. Mama Mary, John's renter in the big duplex who has lived there many years passed away a few days ago. Her husband died last month and she just couldn't seem to accept it plus she has had health problems. All the kids and grandkids said they were going to get all her belongings out in a week or two and vacate. Too many memories they said but yesterday a grandson came to ask if he could rent it and wants to raise a younger brother (about 10 who Mama Mary was raising). John was relieved as he was in a quandry as to what to do. The duplex needs a lot of work to sell or rent. The kids are used to it the way it is and the little boy probably doesn't want to leave the only home he has known. Odd how things work out sometime. Rest in peace Mama Mary.

9 comments:

Kath said...

Long time no read Paula, but it's good to be back.Maybe the new neighbour is a quiet chap who doesn't have much to say until he gets used to people.Not like me.I can chat for England LOL!!A smile is good though not many people know how to do that even nowadays.At least he introduced himself.Sorry about the berievement,may perpetual light shine upon th eDear lady..I hope the Grandson settles in if you do rent to him,and has many happy days and hours there as his Grandma did.Have a good day I shall be back after my weeks vacation starting tomorrow.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Maybe it will be a wave and smile relationship...that's what we've got up here in the mountains....

Enjoy.....LindaMay

Ally Lifewithally said...

Yes Rest in peace Mama Mary ~ I am glad they want to rent from John saves him a lot of work ~ I am sure they will be Happy living there with all the memories ~ Ally x

garnett109 said...

Rest in peace Mama Mary.
That was a strange neighbor?

Jimmy's Journal said...

That neighbor sounds a little weird, but I hope it works out. Sad to hear about Mama Mary, but the renting deal may work itself out.

Jimmy

Sheila Y said...

That is hard trying to carry on a conversation with someone who doesn't talk back much. Maybe things will improve. So sorry to hear about Mama Mary, may she rest in peace. Take care and stay cool, Sheila

sober white women said...

I do think it is strange how things work out. I tell the children all the time...everything comes out in the wash! How true it is.
Kelli

Missie said...

Enjoy your weekend.

salemslot9 said...

maybe, he was waiting for
you to invite him inside
I would've been thinking,
"hope he's not an axe murderer"