This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Lignite Plant

This morning we didn't have anything we had to do and we didn't have anything we wanted to do so I suggested a ride on a country road. What else? John must have really been antsy because he didn't put up any excuses 'cause we shouldn't go. We didn't even know which way we wanted to go so I headed south. John suggested I turn on a white dusty gravel road. When we had been driving a few miles I said I wonder if this is a private road. We weren't meeting any vehicles or seeing any houses but we stayed with the road to see where it ended up. I'm never worried in South Texas because I know sooner or later I will come to a town or road I am familiar with. The road ended at a gate and guess where we were? I told John I guess we better turn around and go back the way we came. We had come upon the Lignite plant. I've always known it was out there somewhere but never knew anything about it. I know they employ a lot of people but I've never been told anything about it. People just say oh so and so got a job at the coal mines. I didn't even know lignite is coal so I looked it up. Lignite is brown or yellowish and woody in texture. The railroad runs by the mine but I have no idea where they haul it to. I'm sure when they first started mining there, there were articles in the paper but I didn't live here then. John doesn't know much about it or doesn't remember. When I think of coal mines I think of news of miners trapped underground for days but I've nver heard of an accident here. Maybe they mine in a different way. I must research this someday. By the time we got back to the highway I could tell John had missed his bus. He was checking his watch every few minutes so I gave in and took him home. The TV and remote was in the same place we left it.

10 comments:

Gerry said...

Well, at least you had a little adventure and learned where the coal mine was before your restless companion thought for you to head home. I was always fascinated with our local coal mine and would try to go when we got our winter coal. An old horse would bring a load to the front of the mine. Sometimes we would get to walk back in there a ways. One time a guy took us exploring old mines. When I think now of how dangerous those were, I shudder. This was in CA, but there seems to be some kind of coal most everywhere.

Dar said...

Thanks for taking me down another TX. country drive with you. My hubby and I hope to winter in your great state within the next couple of years and we too, love to just 'take a ride'. So interesting, about the mines. Sounds mysterious and like Gerry says, dangerous. Not so sure my bones could handle danger anymore...lol...this getting old is getting old
Have a grateful Thanksgiving and
Blessings Be Yours

Sage Ravenwood said...

Learn something new every day. I had no idea what lignite was. Have a great Thanksgiving hon! (Hugs)Indigo

Sheila Y said...

Hi Paula, Happy Thanksgiving to You and John.. Sheila

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Give the turtles a little extra....it's Turkey Day!!

Enjoy....LindaMay

Anonymous said...

INTERESTING, PAULA. NORTH AMERICA IS BLESSED WITH AN ABUNDANCE OF COAL. DIFFERING QUALITIES.

ANTHRACITE DOES NOT HAVE THE BLACK DUST.

I REMEMBER RIDING PASSENGER TRAINS WHEN A CHILD AND THE COAL SMOKE COMING INTO THE CARS. GOING THRU A TUNNEL WAS THE WORST.

PRESENT DAY HAS IT'S PROBLEMS TOO, SUCH AS DELAY IN AIRPORTS OR EVEN WORSE ON THE TARMAC FOR HOURS. ACTUALLY I HAVE NEVER RIDDEN ON A JET PLANE THOUGH READ ABOUT THE DELAYS. sam

jack69 said...

Again you teach. What stories you can find on South Texas roads. I have never seen nor heard the word Lignite. But you can bet I will look it up just as soon as I finish this comment.
You are a pretty good teacher.
From North CArolina for another few days.
Sherry & Jack

JOHN said...

Now thats nice.To get in your car or truck and just drive. Its been awhile since Ive been here.Sorry I think Facebook has taken alot of us.But I still love to stop in and read your entries along with yellow brick road,Chicken Chronicles.Hope yopu had aBlessed Thanksgiving
JOHN

ADB said...

I think they mine lignite in open-cast mines (i.e. on the surface). Google it, you'll find a lot of info on it. Thanks for sharing,

Guido

Lucy said...

Paula it sounds like you had a nice ride and found something interesting. The writing was fine on my view of the blog and Ora said it was ok with her. I have no idea what is going on. I will have to try something new.