This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hidden Baby Calf


Can you make out the baby calf hidden in the tall grass? When the babies are first born the cow hides her baby while she is off grazing. When we drive around we have to be very careful not to run over one of the little fellows. It doesn't look like she chose such a good place with this little calf. Lower right corner is a big red ant bed. I don't know if they sting calves but it sure hurts when one or several stings a human. This ranch is full of those red ant beds and horned toads like to eat red ants. We have only seen one horned toad in the last several years and that was a few years ago. Not sure what has happened to the horned toads but probably chemicals used so freely now. I for one am sorry to see them go.

5 comments:

jack69 said...

I see it! I see it! You always have interesting tid bits about the ranch and cows and cowgirling. It is always a pleasure to see your alert. I see the sun flowers you were talking about ealier, the ones on your header picture. Thanks for clarifying that also.

From Kirksville, mo. the Birth place of our second son.

~mel said...

I wonder too if the ants bother the cattle like they do humans. My guess would be a yes. The deer are like cows too when it comes to hiding their fawns ... they have them lay down somewhere tucked into the brush. It always amazes me how those little babes just know to stay still and quiet. I read somewhere about the horned toads and the lack of them; sad to hear of their demise.

Helen said...

I see the calf and yes ants have been known to kill baby calves around here. Those fire ants will wrap them up and sting them to death. I don't think I have ever seen a horned toad. Helen

Lucy said...

I did see the calf!!! I hope none of them get mixed up with those fore ants. I have heard they are horrible

Amelia said...

awww Thatz cute they hide them.. I didnt know that. Not so cute it was in a bed of ants though... :/