This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Country Compliment

A country cow compliment even. No not for me, for John. I guess John should know a little about cattle since he has owned some since he was sixteen and now he is--- well he is old enough to know better. I think the ultimate compliment for a country man is for another country man to ask him to go to the auction and buy cattle for him. Not pay for them of course but to pick them out and bid on them. John's landlord called him and ask him to do this. He wants to replace some of his old cows with younger ones. He wanted John to use his big truck and trailer and buy them and haul them but John declined this part as he has Macular Degeneration and doesn't see to back trailers like he once could. So the land lord engaged a grandson to go with him to meet John so he could haul the cattle to his place west of San Antonio. John bought six cows for him. He was wanting five and John bid on a sixth one he liked. John told him he would buy that one if he didn't want it when he ask John why he bought that one that he didn't want. Then he decided he did like it and he did want it. So they took them to his place to "locate" with the old cows that are used to the place and then when the new cows get used to the place he will sell the old cows. Now to me this is the funny part. The landlord didn't even offer to buy John a coke while he bought one for himself and his granson. John tells me you think I'm tight (won't spend money) this landlord squeaks when he walks. John said when they were ready to part ways the landlord shook his hand and said much ablides, a country way of saying thank you. John ask me if I had ever heard that expression before. Yes I have but it's been a long long time since I have heard it or thought of it.

12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

so he didn't pay him for his time/expertise? what?!

Sage Ravenwood said...

Tight wad or not, I think it kind of rude that he didn't at least offer to compensate John for his time. Even country folks have a limit. (Hugs)Indigo

Jill said...

Wow...talk about rude! John must be a very patient, kind man.

DD said...

Well, that was a pretty how do ye do!!!
He values John's opinion and trusts him. You are right, very good compliment. Whether or not he was much thankful? He did not show it if he was. I guess the best thing to do is what you have done...laugh it off like a good cowboy. :)

Unknown said...

Guess that's why he's a rich landlord...gets someone else to do things for him and doesn't pay. Bet if the shoe was on the other foot and John asked something from him, some money would have to change hands. Well, The Lord loves a cheerful giver so I guess John will get his reward.

Paula said...

John likes to keep his landlord happy.lol Actually he has three on this place as the parents are dead and the three kids drew straws to see who got each portion of land. The son got the part with the house, stock tank, and pens. When we lived there I ask him if I could paint the house as it had rust stains from the water. He said no, you can't paint asbestos but I have before. I ask him if I could bring an old wheel barrow from the pig barn to plant flowers in. He said no and came and took it home. We only lived there fourteen months and now John sub-leases and the renters do as they please and don't ask anyone. I'm too nice for my own good sometime. lol

jack69 said...

What a story and I like the continuation also. It s amazing how 'tight' some folk are. Love the part about the asbestos, painting it is a very good way of containng it, I think.

The wheelbarrow is tooooooo funny.

Love your experiences. And I think I know how John feels about keeping the LL happy.

Toon said...

I guess that's how the rich stay rich...

DD said...

Whoever heard of paint ruining old rust stained asbestus. Seems to me it could only upgrade. Did you have a chance to go by his place to see if he had an old wheel barrow flower planter in his yard? You gave him the idea...Lol...Yep, you too nice.

Lucy said...

Love this post once again, the way you tell a story is super. I love all your flowers. Have been meaning to tell you that. That man was just plain rude. You know someone mentioned John and patient in the same sentence. The funny part of it is, Joe has more patience than I do.

Anonymous said...

To my way of thinking Paula,all Landlords are the same. Here in England over the pond .Our saying for someone like this is exuse me :- Tight as a Parsons Ass. LOL!! I use the phrase " Much Obliged " every day funnily enough,so you would hear it regular if you lived near me.LOved your story once again.Take Care God Bless Kath xx Hope it accepts my comment or I will be anonymous again Grrr

Anonymous said...

My problem with financially cheap people is they also tend to be extremely emotionally cheap, which is worse in my book. ~Mary