This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Country In The City



Two weeks ago this is what it looked like a block down and across the street from our subdivision. Today the fence is gone and this land is completely cleared out except for some of the larger trees. This picture only shows a small portion of the property. This is where the wild animals came from that we saw on occasion. I'm so sad that we won't see them anymore. Once A very young fawn crossed this street in front of me so I stopped my truck and watched it go right into the Senior Citizen's apartment's ground. We've seen javalinas,roadrunners and when John used to walk early in the morning he would see fox. Once an exotic deer ran along side my truck. When we first moved here there were cattle coming up to this fence. I like living here because it is part country and part city in the same area. We have a junior college, a small airport and everything a person would need without driving to the city yet you can see cattle grazing next to a doctor's office. In the mornings if the weather is just right you can hear coyotes howling in the distance in one direction and the train whistle in the other direction. We are hearing they are building an apartment complex on this property and I know that is progress. The oil field workers need thier jobs and they need a place for their families to live but I can't help but feel a little greedy in wanting our country in the city to remain.

10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh i understand your feeling completely. i worked for one of the largest national homebuilders for many years and i was the biggest NIMBY (Not In My Backyard...) :)

Jill said...

Sometimes I just hate progress.

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean Paula. I know the new development of the harbor will be a good thing for our poor depressed little town but, still, I hate to see all the old ways go. John W.

jack69 said...

Most of us dislike change unless it is us who are changing something. We live in a quiet neighborhood practically in the country. Shirl's spot feels country, we still are holding onto about 3 acres of trees and woods. in the city.

Yeah, something there is that doesn't like change.
From North Carolina
Sherry & Jack

Anonymous said...

Ugh I feel your pain Paula...sometimes I hate progress!! ~Wendy (life in South Texas)

DD said...

I am another that doesn't like this type change. I wonder what the animals that lived there think.

Sheila Y said...

It's hard to see 'memories' torn down. Sometime change is good, sometimes not so much. Hope you are having a great week and stay cool! Love from south Bama, Sheila

Toon said...

Apartments? Ugh. I'd rather have overgrown weeds and wildlife than a bunch of loud families.

Anonymous said...

I'm not so sure another apartment complex spells progress...in fact, I rather doubt it.

Amelia said...

I don't blame you for wanting to keep your country in the city. It sounds like a peaceful place to live.

Missy