This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Thursday, September 6, 2012

March 1952

Would you believe this porch is on the telephone office in the small town where I grew up? I had a nice surprise early this morning. The husband of my friend who recently passed away called and ask me to meet him at the Rehab center where she spent a lot of time before her death. He had to go there on business and wanted me to meet him so he could give me some old pictures she had earmarked for me. She and I worked at the telephone office and often worked together and split the pay. Twenty five cents an hour. You can laugh but in the small town and at that time we may have been the only teens who had a parttime job. There certainly wasn't enough business for two operators but we had fun playing Canasta or seeing who could look up telephone numbers the fastest in the large San Antonio telephone book while waiting for someone to recieve or send a call. There was only two outside lines so on rare occasion someone may have to wait to make a call out of town. The old large phone booth smelled so strong of cigar smoke I can still smell it today. A lot of people had party lines back then. Example one long ring for Mrs. Jones or a long and short for Mr. Smith etc. Of course we had to listen in to see if the conversation was over to clear the lines. This telephone office had no indoor plumbing, just an out house. There was a loud bell to turn on in case you were in the out house and someone called the operator. Back when you're young like we were we could hold it for hours. Lots of memories of when we worked there and the things we did to pass the time. The old truck in the picture belonged to our boss or her son. The picture is of me.

15 comments:

Jon said...

That's a great photo and a really interesting story!

Wendy said...

What a great photo and a beautiful memory. My grandmother had a party line and I never knew when the phone rang if I was suppose to pick it up or not, lol. I couldn't remember her ring...and the family's church had an outhouse at that time and I was always afraid to go in it...critters!!

TexWisGirl said...

what great memories, and what fun that must have been to work together! so glad her husband delivered those photos that she had saved for you!

Jean said...

That’s a good picture of you Paula, and I can remember when we had phone lines were all the neighbors could listen in on our calls . Lol. Interesting story thanks for sharing. Jean

Jill said...

I love this picture of you! These memories are just priceless. I'm so glad you shared them.

Sheila Y said...

Great picture and memory...I see a woman in the truck...are you sure you two weren't fixing to hightail it down a country road? :-) Take care, Sheila

Woody said...

I love old pictures, our small town also had a telephone office, it was in Mrs. Brown's home, *(she owned the phone company) and her husband was the lineman and installer. I also am familar with an "Outhouse", LOL, and I loved to play canasta with my mother and 2 aunts when one of them was sick so they would have 4 to play.
Take Care,
Gary

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Love that outfit!!
Enjoy

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have minded the pay rate as much as the outdoor facilities...that would have done me in. You look hot in that picture, Paula ;o.

Kath said...

Well isn't that just fantastic,that your firend left you these pics Paula.I loved the e
story,very interesting,and I too remember the party line,here in England.Love the picture of you, very smart you look.LOL at Sheila Y's comment haaaaaaaa .Have a great evening.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Kathy said...

This brings back memories. My aunt was the telephone operator in our little town when I was growing up. The "telephone company" was in her house and the switchboard was in her living room. I loved to go and spend the night because she would let me connect the calls and then, like you say, listen in so you knew when to disconnect them. I loved all those criss-crossed lines that got so tangled up, and if everyone was through talking you would just take your arm and slash through the whole mess and they would go zinging back into their proper place. Our phone number was 16!

Jimmy's Journal said...

Neat pic! I remember party lines very well! Like the picture of the cow....(I assume).

Jimmy

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

I just adore looking at old photos like that. And didn't you make a pretty picture! Bet the two of you did have a ball.

jack69 said...

Love this one Paula. I love the stories of the 'Number Please' ladies!!!
memories: party lines, long and short rings. Amazing how time flies.....

DD said...

I love this story, Paula, and the pictures. How pretty you are in these!
The thing that always comes to my mind is the operator ringing my telephone and telling me "the twins are playing with the phone again". Those were the days.