This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Sunday, December 2, 2012

German Heritage

I just read "Up North With Mel" and one of her comments was German's like thier sweets. I'm not German but when I married into a German family I became one no matter if I wanted to or not. I was shocked to find out my birthday and our anniversary was never to be mine alone again. On every person's birthday and anniversary in the family it was expected everyone would come over that night to visit and eat sweets. The host (birthday person) was expected to provide ice cream, coffee, cake, kool aid, whatever as long as it was sweet. Every other family brought something sweet, whatever they wanted, cake, pie, cookies as long as it had sugar in it. A few years ago I heard a minister say from the pulpit that German people drink. I was tempted to stand up and announce not my German family, we got hyped up on sweets.

7 comments:

Donna. W said...

I have read somewhere that there are more people of German heritage than any other nationality in this country. When you look at a map and see what a small country Germany is, that is amazing. My community is made up of most Germans.

TexWisGirl said...

my mother served dessert after every meal - even breakfast. to this day my sweet tooth kicks in as soon as i've finished my main entree.

jack69 said...

hahahahaa, It seems I remember a German community North of San Antonio. But yep, I love German Chocolate cake. HA!
Yeah, Mel, Dar and Cher come from Solid German Stock, that is for sure.
From across the blue Gulf, HUGS

Sheila Y said...

We love our sweets too. Lord knows we don't need it. Wishing you a great week ahead, Sheila

~mel said...

I blame the ancestor lineage for my being so pleasantly plump! It's true ... growing up ~ every occasion always revolved around food.

JOHN said...

Very Interesting,The more sweets the better.

Chatty Crone said...

Okay now I know what my sweet problem is - I must be GERMAN - well actually I do have a little German in me. lol
sandie