This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Friday, April 25, 2014

John Met Danger Head On

John has been leaving the house before daylight to burn the stickers off prickly pear for the cows to eat for several weeks. He leaves so early to beat the south Texas heat. As I've mentioned before it is a hot heavy job and he is not young. Sometime I go and sometime I don't because of my medicine schedule and eating schedule in the mornings. If I go I have to take medicine and food with me and it's a hassle. This morning I didn't go and I'm kind of glad. Rattlesnakes and rats love to nest in the cactus. Probably the rats and then the rattlesnakes are looking for them. This year he hasn't seen any rattlesnakes which is unusual. We've been told the wild hogs have thinned the snakes out. This morning he tells me he met a rattlesnake head on. John was burning a plant as high as his head and was reaching up. He saw something fall but didn't know what it was and then he saw that it was a rattlesnake that had run up the cactus to get away from the heat from the pear burner. John put that pear burner flame between himself and the snake so it slithered away fast. John made a decision then and there. No more going to work before daylight.

10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh, goodness! i hope you get some rain to get the grass greened up so he can quit burning pear altogether! eek!

i killed my first copperhead this week but at least we don't have rattlers!

Jean said...

I would have hated to have been in Johns shoes, I'm scared of snakes. Once I open the back door and there was the biggest snake I'd seen in a long time on the carport. I thought the grandkids that was here at the time had put a toy one out there to scare me, but just as I started to call them he moved. I think he must have been really old, he couldn't get around to good. Grover wouldn't let us kill him or her said it was a rat snake.

TARYTERRE said...

Thank goodness he had a way to distract the snake. problem averted.

Sharon said...

Good decision to wait for daylight! That is scary!

Jon said...

That is incredibly scary! Thank goodness he had the pear burner flame as a source of protection. I certainly hope he waits until daylight the next time.

Lynne said...

I'm glad he was not hurt! I think he is making a wise decision to wait for daylight. I wish you all could get some help doing this chore. It sounds like he needs some help.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Oh wow - thank goodness this had a happy ending :)

Kath said...

OH! I realy hate snakes Paula,glad we don't have them in my part of England.So Happy John was able to scare the snake away.He needs to do just as he says.WAIT till daylight.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

Lucy said...

I hate snakes of any kind but a rattler, copper head or anything taller than me, must go. Luckily all we had on the farm was bull snakes. Didn't like those either.

jack69 said...

Oh ouch on that one. He knows he is gambling, but when it hit him head on, he really knew he could lose that gamble, a Rattle snake bite high up around the head could be the last one. Scary! Glad he is ok.

Love from near CHARLOTTE, NC hahaha Yeah we have one too. (Smile!)