This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Whoops They Found It

I've been wondering how long it would be before the squirrels discovered John's pecan trees. They are about three or four years old and make a fairly good amount of pecans now. The main street near our housing addition has a lot of oak trees so the squirrels take their life into their own hands or is it paws when they cross that street looking for acorns. They haven't been up the streets much since there hasn't been any trees old enough to produce anything for them to eat. I went from front door to back door this morning watching a squirrel grab a pecan from the tree in his vacant lot then run to the yard of a neighbor with it. Back over here, grab another and run to the Arizona Ash and up it, jump on the roof and across to jump on the clothes line pole, down to the ground and over to the second pecan tree in the back yard. He/she has discovered a goldmine until more squirrels get wise.

6 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

for the first time in 12 years, i'm finding opened pecan shells/skins on our driveway this year. the squirrels are finding them somewhere close and bringing them here to devour.

Hootin Anni said...

Our pecan tree is loaded with squirrels this year!! Usually one or perhaps two at one time...not this year...there have been as many as five all scurrying up and down and chasing each other off...it's hilarious.

I hope to get at least a FEW for myself, if lucky. [not the squirrels, but pecans]

Sharon said...

I used to think pecans were people food, we have lived here 9 years now, and only got a small bowlful from our trees. Our crows get ours, crafty devils, but seems to me the squirrels will chance the yard once in a while too.

TARYTERRE said...

it is fun to watch squirrels. sounds like your put on quite a show.

jack69 said...

It always amaze me how these dudes can find new sources of food. By Accident? Smell? Anyway it is amazing.. Good bye to the Pecans....

Lori said...

I had to pause while hanging out laundry today to watch a squirrel travel along the fence in front of me with what looked like a walnut in its mouth. I can't figure out where he got it because I wasn't aware there were any walnut trees that nearby.