This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Smile And A Friendly Word Never Hurts

John has taken on the habit of striking up a conversation when we see a man eating alone. You can tell by their clothes they are oil field workers. Sometime the look on their face says they would rather be somewhere else, probably with family in another town. Tonight at a chicken fast food restaurant there wasn't a lot of people in there but a black man came in with one of the oil field overalls on. He had that look on his face while eating. As we left we passed his table and John ask if he was just finishing up his shift or starting it. You wouldn't believe the smile that crossed his face when he answered just starting. We all exchanged a few words and wished each other a goodnight. As we were walking out the door he called to me mam, mam, you forgot your purse. I had put it on a chair under our table to get it out of the way. It was easy to see from his table. We thanked him and he said I always have to look after my wife's purse. We had a good laugh and went on our way. If we had not made it a point to be friendly he could just as well ignored the situation and anything could have happened to my purse by the time I realized it was missing. We fuss about the traffic and building and more crime but it's here to stay at least until the boom is over so we might as well make the best of it. Let us live up to our name "The town of Liveoaks and Friendly Folks".

9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

nice to each have a good contact moment. :)

TARYTERRE said...

You are so right about a kind word. It really can the difference in someone's day. Glad he saw your purse.

Kath said...

Aww I am so happy you met up with such an honest person Paula.It doesn't take a lot to be friendly and kind to people does it? You and John probably made this guys day,with your short conversation.I shall keep popping in love, when I am well enough to do so.I miss your delightful posts,here in your Blog.Take Care,God Bless Kath xx

jack69 said...

Now folks gotta love that story. It is a good one. I make the mistake of starting conversations that Sherry has to finish.
But it is good to be friendly, it does pay dividends.

salemslot9 said...

I always have to look after my wife's purse :)

Sharon said...

Nice habit for John to have! Being friendly to someone alone has its rewards...
Can you imagine having to go through all the hassle of replacing and changing the contents of your purse?

Chatty Crone said...

Sure sounds like a wonderful town.

Manzanita said...

A smile and a pleasant greeting is never out of style.

Manzanita said...

A smile and a pleasant greeting is never out of style.