This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Monday, May 4, 2015

Happy Cinco de Mayo Tomorrow

You can be happy even if you are not Mexican. When I was growing up in my small town Fatty had a cement slab behind his house for celebrations such as this. It had benches on two sides and lights strung above. His house was in walking distance of our house as was everything, because that was our mode of transportation. After dark our family would go to watch the celebration from the sidelines. Watching the Mexican couples march around with their Mexican costumes on and dancing to their music. We liked to spin the wheel to try to win a prize and eat a taco and drink a Big Red soda. Have any of you attended a Cinco de Mayo celebration?

11 comments:

jack69 said...

No we haven't, but it sounds like fun. I can imagine even more so in a small town where entertainment is limited. In one of the small towns I lived in, watching the black baseball teams thru the fence was good entertainment.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

No, I never have. But I enjoyed reading your memories of it!
Stopping in from Life & Faith in Caneyhead.

Jon said...

Cinco de Mayo is a wonderfully festive time and I've been to several celebrations in the past. I'd love to have some tacos right now!

salemslot9 said...

I had a
shot of tequila
in an airport bar
leaving Las Vegas
9 years ago
my John & I
got married there
May 3rd
I have
sombrero & cactus
lights

Manzanita said...

I have not been to an authentic party but I would love to go if I had the opportunity.

Linda Kay said...

I have not yet attended a true Cinco de Mayo celebration, but enjoy watching all the goings on in San Antonio each year. And we also celebrate my hubby's birthday today!

TexWisGirl said...

just the ones put on in dallas years ago.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

No, I haven't but there are many Mexicans living in my father's neighborhood, and I have listened to their parties (the one they have for their daughters at 15?) and other celebrations many times when I have visited there. The music is very pleasant to listen to, much nicer than the horrible rap music we had to listen too when the neighborhood was mostly black

Cher' Shots said...

Never went to an official Cinco De Mayo celebration but I have been know to down more than one tequilas and have eaten a lot of Mexican food. Now I'm drooling!
'love & hugs from afar'

TARYTERRE said...

HAPPY Cinco de Mayo. Celebrated today.

Hootin Anni said...

Well, I've never 'attended' any party of sorts...but we always have home made Mexican on the 5th.