This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2016

As Much As I like Steak

I hate feed lots. We passed one today but couldn't get a picture because three snarling , barking dogs ran after our truck. I didn't know anything about feed lots until I moved out here. We don't have a lot of them but they stink. They take the animals there to fatten them up for butchering. The pens are large enough but they put so many animals in there they are crowded so the area is quite nasty and they have to just lie down in it when tired or sleepy. They do get plenty of food because that is the idea. The owners of the lot live near by. They must get use to the odor. Do any of you know if your state has feed lots or is this a Texas custom. I might become a vegetarian if I lived near one.

8 comments:

Jon said...

I agree that I'd be a vegetarian if I lived near a feed lot. Texas undoubtedly has the most feed lots, but they are also located in other states. I think one of the very first ones was near Chicago.

Hootin Anni said...

We had a LOT of them in Colorado along the plains in the front range...and when rainy/wet. Well, you can imagine the smell coming from the area. My brother always used to say "That's the smell of money". And I know in Nebraska, they're BIG on feed lots too. Not just a Texan thing.

I like steak too much to become a complete vegetarian.

Sharon said...

I was thinking they were everywhere, so I googled it before I said anything. Yep, you'll find them everywhere in the states - just more in some than others. After reading several articles, I think I don't want any more beef. Beef from the market, that is. I'm too old to buy a calf and raise it, but maybe we could buy a grown one from a local farmer to butcher. If it wasn't for steak and stew - I think I could easily become a vegetarian.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

I'm sure there are some around here. But most of the folks I know feed out their own cows, hogs, before butchering.
Barbara, blogging at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

jack69 said...

We see them traveling. Yep they definitely smell. Not sure which is worse (as a smell) paper mills or feed lots. But they are part of the life cycle, there are times I could become a vegetarian, but I backslide in my thinking awful fast. LOL

TARYTERRE said...

Never saw one before. Must be difficult to tolerate the smell.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

There are a lot of small cow-calf operations in this part of the state, and they enjoy life on green pastures. There do not appear to be any feed lots in this area but these "half-grown" steers have to be sent somewhere so I am sure there must be. Just glad they are not around here

salemslot9 said...

424 Beef Cattle Feedlots Companies in Michigan

that's what it said
when I looked it up
I clicked on one of them
not too far from here
it's a regular house
in a subdivision
I don't think so