This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The face of a cow

Have you ever been up in the face of a cow? Did you know you can tell the age of a cow by the width of her mouth? We went to the ranch early this morning. The cows could have taken care of themselves. Lots of green grass to eat from all the rains. Plenty of water in the dry creek beds to drink without having to walk to the stock tank. Too wet to drive around to find Jersey to see if she has had her calf. We saw rabbits and quail and lots of killdeers. Not sure of the spelling, but they run along on the ground like the quail do. I did not spell it killdeers something changed it. Humm so I don't know what they are, but I'm sure someone does.

6 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

adorable photo. i always say killdeer (as plural) too.

TARYTERRE said...

what a pretty cow. sweet face. i did not know you could tell their age that way. how interesting.

jack69 said...

That looks like a cow selfie. LOL But I don't now that stuff about cows. And I must have known about Killdeers, Sherry and I ran into one that 'blessed us out' for getting too close to her nest. I thought she was a grouse, but I was informed the little dude was a Killdeer. Crazy thing had made her nesting spot in the rocks.
So I looked it up and my friend was right, she was a Killdeer. I am 77 now, my mind must be slipping but I donot remember that bird.
But I do like the cow shot!

Hootin Anni said...

I would say killdeer...both singular and plural. But what do I know? LOVE the cow photo, up close and personal. I love having a cow lick my hand with their tongues.

Hope if there is a calf, all's well!!!

Sharon said...

Beautiful cow face, I just love all of 'em, they are so sweet. I don't know anything about them except I like them. I hope all is well as far as Jersey is concerned.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

We had a longhorn calf we raised. Until she got big. And we couldn't butcher her. So Pete gave her to his Daddy. One day I came up here and Junior (Pete's Dad) wanted me to do something in "Calfie's pen. Oh, boy!! She got all excited to see her old "mama" in the pen and almost took me down.
Barbara from Life & Faith in Caneyhead