This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Sunday, April 9, 2017

What Are The Chances?

When we left for church this morning I had no idea who would be visiting from all over. One lady from San Antonio, several from Fort Worth. and several from out of state. All with the last name Briggs. Their relative started this church many years ago. So happens my first grade teacher was Miss Winnie Briggs but everyone just called her Miss Winnie. This church is just south of the town I grew up in so I ask a lady if they were kin to her. She didn't know but thought it quite possible. Out side I ask a gentleman and he confirmed they are kin to her. He was surprised she was my first grade teacher. I told him how I used to ride my bike past her house in the hot sun and she would come out on the porch to shake her finger at me and say "young lady go home and get your bonnet on". He ask if I liked her? Yes I did, even though she was strict. Back then kids were used to strict. He was surprised to learn that Miss Winnie was Methodist as he said he is and I told him I am and went to church with her back in the 50's. This little historic church is Baptist. This church is being remodeled on the inside and has already been remodeled on the outside. It doesn't look like this picture. The add-on, on the left is gone and a new room added for Sunday school, social occasions and a small kitchenette in the back. On the right is nice modern restrooms where before they were like built on outhouses, but with flushing toilets. The only draw back is they found matching rock and put it on the first add on. They didn't know they had to notify the Historical Society. On the second round they were notified and would not permit the rock to be used. Since they didn't want to be stripped of their Historical status they went by their rules. In my opinion it would have looked so much better and matched so well with the rock on both sides. I'll try to post a picture of the way it looks now . Anyway it was nice to meet relatives of my first grade teacher and share memories.

9 comments:

jack69 said...

Dropping by to say Hello. I am beat for for tonight

Love and of course I always enjoy the read here at your house. Love from Detona.

I am glad the historian society thinks about the little CHURCH

lOVE FROM ACROSS THE POND
\

Sharon said...

Cool little old church. Nice that the Briggs family is still keeping in touch with their extended family, many do not anymore.
I hope you are doing well.

Paula said...

Thanks S.J. I go to the doctor tomorrow to see what my Platelets are doing. My blood pressure is terrible.

TARYTERRE said...

Just goes to prove you never know who you're going to run into when you're at church.

Hootin Anni said...

How interesting! I would love to go through this historical church!

Rose said...

So interesting...I agree that back in the day we were used to strict. And we did not hold it against the teacher. Sorry your BP is terrible...

peppylady (Dora) said...

I had a kindergarden teacher Mrs Welks and years later I went and work for her when I was in high school.
Coffee is on

Belva said...

That was a lucky break to follow up with your 1st grade teacher. I couldn't tell you the names of any
of my grade shool teachers except one. Miss Flynn and I don't know if that was 5th or 6th grade.
What a nice friendly church you have.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

What a neat turn of events, with the Briggs family. I can't believe the Historical Society didn't want the more attractive stone that blended with the original building. What a shame. Our little church is old. Used to be Pentecostal but now is Baptist. It is stone, we did an add on. Used stone. No one stopped us....no historical status.
Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead