This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Sunday, July 23, 2017

The End Of An Era



I know I've said this before but I think it is important. John got his first cow when he was 16 years old and now he will be 83 in September. He has had large amounts of cattle along with farming peanuts and at one time vegetables. When I came out here he owned one ranch and leased four or five. He could handle it but no more. There comes a time and that time has come. His son has been trying to keep up with the one place and a few cow. Last week-end the Sheriff's department called that there was a cow out on the road. John wasn't able to go so he called his son. Lucky his son was home because he has a fulltime job along with cattle of his own. By the time he got there the cow had crawled back in. The fences are bad and this Texas heat is something else to fix fence in so John gave up a few months earlier then planned. He had been giving cows to his kids and the last remaining one was given to the young guy who lives on the ranch and has helped John at different times when he was in a bind. A few hay rings and other equipment will be moved in the next couple of weeks. I told John and his son today I want to go out one more time to say goodbye to the Roadrunners, Rabbits, and Turtles. It's been a trip we won't forget. I think John breathed a sign of relief to know all the responsibility has been removed with no danger of cattle on the road and no one to make sure they are in and the fence repaired. It's so dry already and the cows will need feed with no green grass. We' ve already started staying in under the AC most of the day, taking plenty of naps and we'll go for rides after the sun goes down when we want.

12 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

sounds like he finally got some relief.

Jon said...

You both deserve to just relax and enjoy life - - you've certainly earned it. Take care and savor the freedom.

Rose said...

Oh, I am sitting here crying...and I almost don't want to write it...such bittersweet moments, yet I think you will understand what I mean. It will be good to be relieved of the worries...and I am happy for you. I hope you get to enjoy several years of that. (I don't know why I had to have a cry...I suppose I am sentimental with all that has gone on with Roger, so I hope this doesn't offend you or make you sad.) Just delete this and you won't offend me, if you don't want to see it.

Sharon said...

Bittersweet end of an era. Time to let go and let someone else make memories. Stay cool now.
)))HUGS(((

jack69 said...

I feel for JOhn. No matter how you cut it, it is still tough. Turning loose is the hardest thing a human must do. You know when you give it, THAT PART IS OVER. i RENEW MY GEN CONTRACTORS LICENSE every year now, knowing I will not build, but I cannot give them up.

We have a BIL who needs assisted living, but his mind is sound. He knows if he goes, the time he walks out the door of HIS house, he will never, NEVER return.

I can imagine John is relieved, but I know inside he hates knowing the facts.

This is a sweet and sad entry lady. i am glad there will be no more getting the cows BACK IN! Love you guys!!

Paula said...

I'm not offended Rose and I won't delete it. I understand about the stroke. My deceased husband, Mel, had a bad stroke at age 45.

2023 said...

We' ve already started staying in under the AC most of the day, taking plenty of naps and we'll go for rides after the sun goes down when we want.

That is my favorite sentence. I feel for both of you. The end of something like this is bittersweet at best. John seems to have had a very good run. If he's with you, I sort of figured he was a special guy anyway.

Fondly, Mary

salemslot9 said...

I got choked up
when I read this
to my John

"I want to go out one more time
to say goodbye to the Roadrunners,
Rabbits, and Turtles"

Wendy said...

Wow, just Wow! I completely understand but I am still sitting here with tears in my eyes. Ranching/Farming is a very tough life and it's so hard to say goodbye to it when you have done it your whole life. Working in this heat is horrible and it takes a lot out of a person too. I wish John the best and so glad his son is still raising cows. I know I won't be able to keep our place up forever and hate for the day to come when I throw in the towel and say enough. Time for y'all to sit back and enjoy that A/C and take it easy. Hugs, Love and Prayers....

Hootin Anni said...

Such a wonderful, but bittersweet post. There comes a time when one has to hang up their stirrups and say enough. Enjoy what time we have left doing small things like taking rides after the sun goes down. Sleeping late if you want, eating when you want, without the hassle of ranching and raising cattle.

My heart goes out to you both, but....hey, it's time!!

If you find toby out there, say hello/goodbye for me too.

LV said...

The times is changing a lot of the good old ways. I do not want to back, but there were some things I wish they still did today. It will all work out and trust it will be far the better.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

I'm glad John was able to keep it going until he was ready to give it up. Old cowboys never die, they just move on to greener pastures.