This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Is It Calm In Chicago?

I know Chicago is known as the windy city. One of the times I went there my daughter took me to see where Oprah lived and to the Sears tower. It was sooo windy the upper area of the tower was closed. Well I think we are taking over the windy town reputation. Tonight I went out the front door with a plate of cat food mixed with juice off of pot roast. I had it in one hand and was trying to control the storm door with the other hand. A big gust of wind caught the door. The spoon off the plate went flying across the yard like a bullet. I wrenched my back trying to keep the door from breaking off the hinges. Now Susie was standing next to me with her mouth watering from the smell of something other then dry cat food. She hates for the wind to muss her hair as does any lady but the smell of food got the best of her but as the wind blew the door out of my hand and from the pain in my back I screamed. Susie ran for cover in the garage and John ran from the bedroom to see what all the noise was about. The windchimes are going crazy and if they don't stop I'm going to lasso them and tie them like a steer so I can sleep. On top of everything else the young neighbors have decided to barbeque in their front yard. Their fire is lapping at the stars. Now I'll have to check the dry grass before I go to sleep as John has a vacant lot between his house and their duplex apartment. There is just never any rest for the wicked. Maybe that will teach me not to miss church.

17 comments:

Donna. W said...

Oh no, you must be getting the 50 MPH wind we have forecast for tomorrow.

Rose said...

Oh no!! I live outside of Chicago and we do get some powerfully strong winds. The worst is when it snows or it's snowed and the wind blows the snow across the roadway causing white outs.

If your wicked than I am too!!

jack69 said...

Ah Paula, daddy said there is no rest for the wicked and the righteous don't need any. hahaha! So sorry you hurt your back. TAke two aspirins, lasso the wind chimes, put cotton in your ears and rest. LOL. You have had a day of it.
I hope the back is not permanent type serious. The back is one of the worst of pains.
Thinking of you,
Jack

garnett109 said...

That much wind you need a windmill farm

Anonymous said...

Briege is on top of my monitor as I type this(I can't get a flat screen, she'd die-she loves to sit up there)& I do believe she could tell I was reading "juice of pot roast" because she seemed to perk up. The neighbors are bbqing in high winds? Brilliant. ~Mary

Helen said...

WOW! I hope your back is better this morning. Helen

Alice said...

Sorry about your back, Paula. The wind is so bad here as well and we've had a burn ban for some time now. Can't even imagine your neighbors bbqueing like that. I had to move my wind chimes to a tree out from my porch they got so noisy a few years ago. Hope your back heals quickly :)

Unknown said...

I sure hope your back heals quickly. It must of been windy every where yesterday because the wind sounded like a hurricane where I live yesterday.

Anonymous said...

funny, funny, funny. roberta

Jean said...

Hope the wind isn't as bad this morning and your back pain is better. Take care, jean

Ally Lifewithally said...

Paula I hope your back is feeling better ~ that must have been some wind to blow that spoon over your yard ~ Did Susie eventually get her plate of food :o) ~ Ally x

Jon said...

Sorry, but I had to laugh when I visualized you with the wind and the cat food. I put some dry food out last night for the feral cats and the wind blew it away - plate and all! I sure hope your back is better.

Did you know that Chicago was originally called the "Windy City" because of all the long-winded politicians that lived there? At least that's the story I heard on the History Channel.......

shirl72 said...

I hope your back is not to bad. It is better
than loosing a body part hanging out the car
window trying to solve the mystery of the
columns. We had strong winds last week. We
have experienced about every kind of weather
today in the 70's. Last week in the teens with snow. Sorry about the delicious cat food that Susie missed she may find it or something else will appreciate the food.

J said...

Hey paula I'm sorry about all that wind, it sounds terrible. I hope your back is feeling better.

Gerry said...

Is that how you wrenched your back? A wind gust. Well, I hope that our storm comes your way because we are getting lots of moisture. Flagstaff has 15 inches and expects maybe a foot more from this new storm. Anyway I hope you did not do anything too drastic to yourself. I love the writing in this entry. It made me smile. You write these country vignettes so entertainingly. You have gotten real good at it.

salemslot9 said...

Susie!

Lisa said...

Geesh, you gotta wonder why they would want to have a bar-b-q pit going on such a windy night!!! Poor Susie, I bet she was anxious to have her treat.