This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

Donkey Memories

I can't believe I had forgotten about some little brown donkeys. I must have even liked donkeys when I was young. My oldest daughter just e-mailed me asking is she and her sister didn't have baby quilts. I hadn't thought about them in a long time. I think I gave each of them their own but I'll have to check the cedar chest when it gets warmer. Lynda's was yellow because back then you didn't know if you would have a boy or girl so yellow would go for either and Mel their Dad liked yellow. Why I picked donkeys I don't know, I remember them being cute with little flowers around them and on them. I embroidered all the squares and my Mama quilted them. With the second baby we were going to name him Shane so his quilt was blue. He ended up being Leah so she got a blue quilt with I think bears. I've got to find out about those quilts, where they are and what kind of condition they are in. Now I do remember boiling the diapers, mixing formula, and sterilizing bottles. One of the most beautiful sights is white cloth diapers flapping in the sunny breeze. Now I've got to remember what I did with those quilts.

8 comments:

Dar said...

You embroidered, quilted blankets for your babies...what a wonderful memory of the donkeys and bears and their beholders...I hope you find them in the cedar chest in good condition. Even if not, give them to the girls anyway. They will adore them just the same.
Diapers on the clothesline, I remember those, and the formula and sterilized bottles...what sweet memories of days gone by the wayside. Our kids don't know how easy they now have it. If only.......
God Bless You

Donna. W said...

I know it's crazy, but I loved washing diapers and hanging them on the line to dry (except in freezing weather). I also didn't mind using a wash cloth to clean my babies' bottoms. Nowadays people buy disposable diapers and disposable wipes, and I thing, "You guys are crazy!"
Of course, I didn't have to hold down a job; I'm sure if I'd had to work 40 hours a week I would have welcomed the conveniences.

jack69 said...

I don't remember ever boiling the diapers, but I remember the diaper pails. I remember cleaning the DIRTY ones in the commode. Man didn't we save a bunch of disposable diapers!!!!!
You will find the blankets. Take care, you loved donkeys because .........., oh well.
From North Carolina,
Sherry * Jack

Toon said...

I hope you find the quilts! I don't have anything like that from my newborn years. :(

Russ

Frances said...

I have the clothes my babies wore when I brought them home from the hospital, in my cedar chest. By the time I handed down the quilts for three babies, the blankets and quilts were pretty used up. After they were grown, I learned to crochet, so I crocheted each of them an afghan.

Kath said...

I have my eldest sons first nightdress Paula,some of these I used to embroider ont he yoke at the front and his brush and comb set,I once put a picture in my old Blog of his first nightdress I have.He is 42yrs old now,Yes boys wore nighties in them days LOL!!You couldn't beat the old terry nappies,(diapers) as you call them in USA.Blowing in the wind and so soft when you brought them in.I loved to see them on the washing line sparkling white.Hope you find your quilts,I am sure you will.Have agreat day.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

garnett109 said...

I vaguely remember the hanging of diapers especially white ones

Lucy said...

Oh my, I am going back down memory lane. Went there once today, I wonder if anyone of you had the night dress for boys or girls with thew draw string on the bottom to keep their feet warm. I am with Donna on everything she said. When they froze you could stand them up against the wall. Talk about frozen fingers. I was raised that way so at least I adapted fairly well. Memories!!!!