This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Monday, March 15, 2010

The End Of A Era

I awoke in the middle of the night thinking I should get up and pay my bills to get in the mail tomorrow while its quiet. I started thinking what it will be like if they only deliver mail three times a week as I have heard they are considering. That will change the way of life as I and many more know it. Mail call has always been one of the highlights of my day. When I was growing up in a small town the mail was delivered twice a day. The postmaster and his assistant closed the window and placed the correct mail in the correct boxes. This was a meetin' and greetin' time for small town people. We would go to the post office even though we knew the mail was being "put up" as we called it. The post office would be full of people standing around chatting. When we heard the window open everyone rushed to their box with expectation knowing their combination by heart. Others formed a line to ask for their mail or buy stamps or mail a package. Even as a very young girl I looked forward to mail call. I sent my film off to be developed from the little box camera. It seemed it took forever for the pictures to come back. We ordered a lot from catalogs and that was always an exciting time when the new ones arrived. Sears, Penney's, Montgomery Ward, we got them all. One time I sent my name in to get a pen pal. Boy was that a mistake! I got so many letters from all over there was no way I could answer all of them and some of them I didn't want to. Some wanted to come right on down for a visit. My hometown postoffice is in a nice new building now. I wonder if people still go wait for the mail to be "put up" or if they have enough employees to keep the window open. I still remember our box number but not the combination. Maybe my sister does if she is lurking here but not commenting. Our mail delivery is different here. We have a cluster of boxes down the street but you can be sure I know about what time the mailman gets there. It is 2:30 or it was. Our mailman just retired and it looks as if the new one is going to be faster. If they change mail delivery to three times a week we will have to be more prompt in getting mail on it's way as it will take longer for it to arrive at it's destination. I for one don't like the idea of mail delivery only three times a week at all, it is still one of the highlights of an old ladies day.

9 comments:

garnett109 said...

They are thinking of cutting out Saturday service up here in pa

Frances said...

I have only heard about cutting out Saturday service. I haven't heard about the only 3 times a week thing. I don't get much mail anymore, so either way would probably be o.k. for me, as long as I get my weekly paper on time. LOL My small town only has a weekly paper, so some of the news is a week old, but it is about people or events I know.

Toon said...

The plan is to cut Saturday delivery, but they've been floating that idea for a few years now and it still hasn't happened.

jack69 said...

That doesn't effect us. We call for our mail every two or three weeks. BUT... I can remember when mail call was the FIRST priority of my life. In the military, and especially on a ship deployed, you got mail about twice a week. The news go out quickly over the ship that a Mail plane had landed.
In the Marine corps the sgt stood in the center of a bunch of guys and yelled names. What a time!
Thanks for bringing back some good memories. Sorry they are gonna disturb a beautiful ladies life.
Sherry & Jack

Lucy said...

I agree with you Paula. Call me old fashioned, but I will never pay my bills on line like 2 of my kids do. Seems up in the air here in Lincoln. Talking about closing one or more postal stations. Also Saturday delivery.I think it will happen this time and I can understand the need but it just seems "not right".

Anonymous said...

PAULA, DID YOU EVER ORDER BABY CHICKENS BY MAIL ? I DONT THINK IT IS POSSIBLE NOW. sam

JOHN said...

I read your end of an era blog.Wow the good ol days. We live in a fast pace society,Standing in front of the microwave telling it to hurry up.My Pastor is amail man and he said here in California they're considering three days a week. Whats this world coming to!Were going backwards it seems. I Enjoy your blog and need to get back to writing in mine.I to got caught up in the fast pace society and have been on facebook.
Take Care
JOHN

Sheila Y said...

I probably could handle no Saturday delivery, but I wouldn't like just 3 days a week. Even if you pay most of your bills online, some things still need to be mailed. Hope you are having a great week, Sheila

Dar said...

Paula, this 3 days a week mail service truly is a step backwards, if ya ask me. What the he.. anyway. Mail service is 'supposed' to be a time honored thing...guess not. I was reading back a ways since I have been sick all week and not checking in, and I see the lil turtles are due for a shower...cant wait to read on...
Sam, YES, they still DO deliver chicks by mail...Every three day delivery? will litterally KILL them. what a shame...our government...pew
Blessings