This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Burning Pear

John is threatening to burn pear for his cattle again. We all tell him the work is too hard and hot and he can't do it any longer but he is determined. Burning pear is burning the stickers off cactus for the cattle to have something green to eat after the frost comes and there is no longer any green grass. Cows love it and learn the loud sound of the pear burner. See the tank sitting on the ground? It has propane in it with a long pipe attached which you light with fire and then you can adjust the flame to go stronger or lighter. He usually carries the tank on his back by a strap and has to put a piece of carpet between the tank and his body because the tank gets very cold and could burn your body. He is going to try to get his son to help him move the large propane tank to the ranch to be ready for about December. He will probably burn two tanks a day and transfers the propane from the large tank to the small one each time. It can be a dangerous job if it is dry but they cannot stop people from feeding their cattle and making their livlyhood like they can ban burning trash. One year I went with him each morning and we got up before daylight to beat the sun. My job was to let him off on one side of the cactus patch and then drive around to pick him up on the other side so he could get rid of the heavy tank into the truck. It is kind of a beautiful sight when it is still dark and all the little stickers are lit up. Kind of reminds you of Christmas. I probably won't be going with him much this time as a few years ago I had an abnormal chest exray and was sent to a Pulmonary doctor. He told me not to inhale that smoke anymore and that John shouldn't either. He won't pass up that free food (cactus) for his cattle other then the cost of the propane of course. He says he may hire the grown renter kid to carry the tank so that would help. Another thing they have to be careful of is rattlesnakes as they often make their home in cactus plants but if you see them in time the pear burner is a good weapon to burn them in their tracks.

10 comments:

Jill said...

Oh I just wish you weren't in such dire straights. Sending you rain prayers.

TexWisGirl said...

sounds like a hard job, but based on your story of the cow that died after getting the prickly pear lodged in her tract, it might have to be done to keep the herd safe. yikes!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of burning pear but it sounds like extremely tedious work! We don't have much cactus here, but there was a lot of it around San Angelo
(This is from Jon. For some reason I have to keep signing in as anonymous, it's the only way I can post comments!).

DD said...

I would go to extremes to feed my herd if necessary, cacti burning, snake burning..haa. Take care.

jack69 said...

AH ha so one of the side affects is, cooked rattler. I can only imagine how pretty it is before daylight to see this. That is the only way too, since I long since quit getting up before breakfast. LOL
This is an interesting part of ranching I have learned.
I bet that noise and heat would upset the Rattler. I would worry about being on the other side of the patch where they might run out to avoid the fire.
YOu are up early today. Hope you have a great day!

Kath said...

Thats a large chore Paula,I hope everything runs smotthly for John and his helpers whoever they be.Great story.Have a blessed Sunday.Pooter probs here at times.So expect me when you see me LOL xxLove Kath xx

Sheila Y said...

Maybe he could fix him up a type of wagon that he could pull it along instead of carrying. Hope your Sunday is going well. Have a great week, Sheila

Unknown said...

I burned a lot of pear on my grand parents ranch just out of Kent, TX...way out west. It's not a real pleasant experience...after the "new" wears off. It's effective though!

Anonymous said...

I'm always the last one to bed and a late sleeper, lol. I don't think it would be easy for me to get up early.I hope John will get the boy to help him carry the gas can. Take care, Jean.
This is a night it want post only Anonymous.

Toon said...

As long as it's not too big a fire danger.
We always get 'burn bans' up here when there's a drought.