This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Have You Ever Entered A Tree Contest?

No? We haven't either and we aren't qualified to enter this one. I wish I could, because that would mean I own a beautiful old live oak tree. An organization in the next town over is sponsering a contest to find the most magnificiant live oak in our county. Some of the rules are-- you must own the tree and it must be still alive. You can send up to four pictures. The circumference must be measured between the ground and the first fork with out adding any bumps or lumps. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures as we have some beautiful live oaks in our county. Once on a day trip we were allowed to go onto a ranch to view a very large oak tree so all of us in the van stood side to side in front of the tree to show how very large it is. This one isn't in our county though and I don't know where my picture is. I love trees for so many reasons. I have two Arizona Ash trees and one Red Bud. John has two Pecan trees and two Arizona Ash trees. We didn't figure at our age we had time for the Oak trees, hence the Ash trees, because they grow fast and here in south Texas we need all the shade we can get.

10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

sounds like a great contest. live oaks are so neat. we have huge old bur oaks, here which i love. :)

Jon said...

I've never heard of a tree contest but it's a very interesting idea. My neighbors have a huge oak tree in the front yard. I have eight pecan trees in my back yard.

Jill said...

Now that is a fun contest!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

One of my favorite toys as a child was a south FL live oak that it's limbs covered about 1/4 acre...
Loved that old tree...!!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

I love the magnificent oaks that we have in our beautiful county and state. Never heard of a contest though.
There are some big ones out here but I know in our county there are lots bigger ones.
Not sure if you have put your name in the hat for my giveaway but I hope you do.
Love
Maggie

Chatty Crone said...

I have never even heard of a tree contest! sandie

~mel said...

I agree with you on needing all the shade you can get :) Cool contest and will be waiting for your update on it.

Woody said...

Sounds like a good contest for a tree, we have an Oak in the side yard we watch, squirrels love it in the fall. It has a bench under it and lots of people go out there when the snow goes and sit there to think.

jack69 said...

I missed this entry somehow. I have come to love the live oak, that is one tough tree and gives the most weird shapes to enjoy, at least the ones in florida/

DD said...

Ah, I love the idea of this contest! The outcome of it will be very interesting. I love trees too. I have one young oak tree in my front yard and it is now getting to be a very big tree. My Dad gave it to me and planted it there. So you know how that goes.