This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Monday, September 10, 2012

Just One More 50's Photo

I won't bore you with 50's pictures after this one but it just made me think of the difference in the way we did our hair then and now. I set my own hair with bobby pins as most everyone did except we called it rolling our hair. I set my hair most every night while in bed in the dark before going to sleep. A neighbor lady on each side would ask me to roll their hair. I hated it but as a teen you didn't say no to an older person and you certainly didn't expect any pay. On school days after taking the pin curls down and combing it out we wore a head scarf walking to school so our hair didn't fall from the dampness. Once in a while I see a lady in Wal*Mart with a head scarf on but I don't think I even own one now. Bobby pins? I have a few left in a drawer somewhere but it's been many a year since I used one.

17 comments:

Jon said...

I never get bored looking at old photographs. Women really looked like women back then. Sadly, I think many things have changed for the worst.

I'm hopelessly old-fashioned at heart.

Helen said...

I used to use those bobby pins and yes did a neighbors hair also.

Chatty Crone said...

I enjoyed the photo too - I still have some bobby pins too!

TexWisGirl said...

too funny. my mom always kept a perm and i'd have to 'refresh' it every now and then. :)

Lisa said...

I still have bobby pins. LOL. I don't use them but I have a card of them in my vanity drawer, just in case. I guess.

Jill said...

I LOVE your photos from the 50's! You're just adorable. I say keep 'em coming!

jack69 said...

Of course I remember the bobby pins, they served somany other purposes too! LOL
I love the 50's pictures, keep
em coming. That was a lot of work for a girl! But it did look good!
Love ya!

Mary said...

Isn't it funny...hair changes. When I see old movies I think, oh that hair style could be done so much better with current tools. I do not have any of the old rollers I once thought were the greatest.

salemslot9 said...

nice not boring

Lucy said...

Paula, I am sorry to hear that John has skin cancer on his face. I had one taken off my nose, mt long nose, and had 3 pre-cancerous ones taken off. I think my nose should be looked at by a dermatologist again but I think it is ok. My brother in law who was a farmer, had to have his lip skinned. The bottom one was the only one he had but it was deep. It never came back. I like to look at old photos.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I will never tire of these pictures. ~Mary

Marty said...

What nice photos!!!

Lucy said...

Hope all is well. Truce at our house. The hair, oh yes. Roll neighbors hair, yep. I still have bobby pins but not enough hair to do anything with. Really short this time.

Cher' Shots said...

I love old photos. As for the 'rollers' I have some on my noggin as I type this. I know ~ but my hair goes flat in a heartbeat with the curling iron and I still like a little bounce without a perm.
Call me weird!
'love & hugs from afar'

DD said...

I love your old photos. They are very nice!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

I do hope you share more of your pictures their lovely.
Oh how I remember rolling my hair and yes helping other roll theirs too. we sure didn't tell older people no back then would not have even thought of it. haha
Great post
Love
Maggie

Jimmy's Journal said...

A fine looking young lady! There were always bobby pins arounf my house and they had plenty of uses. I can still hear a woman I knew ans another for a "spare" bobby pins.

I guess they went the way of the horse and buggy....

Jimmy