This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Monday, July 1, 2013

Has Anyone Ever Had An Unusual Pet?

I saw on the news recently where the police raided a house for drugs and the owner had  pets in his house, other then cats, dogs, and fish. An alligator was sleeping on the couch. Think I'll pass on that one but I would like to have a Capabara. I wrote about these before and can't find the pictures I took. My memory was refreshed when I saw on the news about someone having a Capabara as a house pet. One day we were driving in the fog on a country road and saw this strange animal behind a tall fence. I got out of the truck and talked to the animal but it wouldn't answer back but neither did it run off. Later when we came back the same route and the fog had lifted there were quite a few of these cute unusual animals. When I got home I did a little research after a blogger suggested what they might be from my description. The info. I found said they are the largest extant rodent in the world. Native to South America. They inhabit dense forrests and live near bodies of water. They are a highly social species and can be found in groups, usually 10 to 20. They are not a threatened species and are hunted for its meat and skin. Guess I'll just stick with Susie my cat but I can dream, can't I?

17 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

if i'd have an unusual house pet, i'd probably have a mini horse. :)

Unknown said...

I looked it up and it does look like an oversized mouse or similar anyway.

Jon said...

Well, Paula, you've stumped me on this one! I've never heard of a Capabara, so I had to look it up. They are cute - - but what sharp teeth!

I've never had any particularly unusual pets. When I was a kid I had turtles, and some guinea pigs (the guinea pigs didn't last long, my father got rid of them).

I had a Senegal parrot for nearly 20 years - - I liked him but they make too much noise!

Sharon said...

Nothing unusual for us, dogs, cats, my hen, Gertie, and my parrot, Buddy, who sounded exactly like my sister.

Donna. W said...

I once had 3 or 4 baby skunks. When they began to stink, Cliff took them for a swim. Actually, I called 3 vets to see how much it would cost to de-stink them. The cost was WAY more than we could afford, and more than I would have been willing to pay.

Jill said...

I'm going to have to look those up. I'm not sure I'd like a rodent anything but who knows!

TARYTERRE said...

I'm going to GOOGLE a Capabara. Never heard of them. Sounds fascinating.

salemslot9 said...

we had a
white rat named
Duckie

Chatty Crone said...

I would love to have a miniature pig!

Leave It To Davis said...

They look like a mini hippo to me....I couldn't get over the fact they are the world's largest rodent....wouldn't want that in my house....it'd be like having a nasty version of Mickey Mouse. Until now, I thought he was the world's largest rodent. :)

Dar said...

weird lil rodent...or big. very wary of those choppers tho...
and YES, I once had a pet Mink who was a runt of the litter...I used to dress 'Lil Joe' up in doll clothes. Dad had showed many times how to quickly harvest a mink. Long story short, I was changing Lil Joe's clothes one morning when he bit me, hard. Snap, and it was time to go back to dressing kittens.
BlessYaPaula&John

jack69 said...

You crazy? You are the one with Cows, turtles and ducks!

I know the cows aren't pets, but you have petted one or two!
Never heard of your rodent. But If I would dream I'd like a road runner!
((HUGS))
Good post!

Lucy said...

Glad you are sticking with your cat. It sounds as though those things would be ugly. You must live in the boonies. I have been talking t my grandson in Texas and he lives in Bridgeport, Tx. He says he is in the boonies.

Unknown said...

You introduced me to something new. I've never heard of that animal. Keep dreaming. Who knows, one day you might get your wish. Have an awesome day.
Would love it if you'd stop by my blogs. Who knows- you might like them too. :)
http://barb-letschat.blogspot.com
http://barb-justfortoday.blogspot.com

Have Myelin? said...

I had a whites tree frog before. :)

Anonymous said...

Manfred had weird pets his whole life because his mother Anna is a zoologist. His parents have hybrid wolves now, & that is almost a "normal" sort of pet compared to ones they had in the past. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

Wait a second. How about the turtles? The cows? Esp that "special" calf? You are not just a cat lady.~Mary