This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Monday, September 30, 2013

A Better Look AT Fake Cotton

This is maybe a better look at the fake cotton. A lot of it is gone now. Where did it go? I think it just kind of falls apart and blows away. It doesn't look as strong and thick as real cotton. When I see it start to grow on everything every year it makes me think back in the olden days ladies could have stuffed pillows with it. It probably wouldn't hold up but you know how they had to "make do" back in those days. It may be one of the things that is making us sneeze with runny noses this time of year. I have a friend who works for the Soil Conservation office so I hope to remember to take the picture to see if she knows the name of it.

8 comments:

Jon said...

There are lots of cotton fields where I live, but I've never seen fake cotton before. Very interesting.

Chatty Crone said...

Could you imagine sleeping on it with allergies?????

TARYTERRE said...

CURIOUS to know what it is????

TexWisGirl said...

it is really pretty! hope you can find out what it is.

shirl72 said...

Paula you will not believe that I
am so fascinated with Cotton that
I have 9 plants on my deck that
are growing. I have only seen cotton fields from the car when we were traveling. Love the beautiful flowers pink, lavender and white. The cotton is about ready to pop out. I do volunteer work for Historic Society and they plant one small row of cotton so when Children are touring they can see how cotton grows. It is our History. My plants are 36 inches high and beautiful...They are root bound that is why they grew so tall. I will be more experience next year.

Hootin Anni said...

I agree with Chatty Crone...I wouldn't want to use it if I suffered allergies! But it's pretty...I enlarged the photo.

jack69 said...

I missed this lesson on cotton. Neat entry on something local.

I will have to help Shirl pick her cotton and take it tot he gin. haha

~mel said...

That's a pretty cool looking plant. I've seen trees similar to that called smoke trees.