This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Monday, December 23, 2013

Old Joe

This picture is spring at the cemetery where John's family is buried but that isn't the subject. See the little iron fence in the middle? Probably a baby or child's grave. Looking through pictures I found this and reminded me of Texas Country Reporter yesterday on TV. Their show was about a little grave space in Texas with a small white picket fence around it right out in the middle of a field. The story goes it is the grave of a horse name Old Joe. Old Joe belonged to the doctor  in the area years ago. The doctor went on sick calls in a buggy or wagon (don't remember which) pulled by Old Joe. Sometime the doctor would be so tired he would crawl into the buggy and fall asleep and when he would awaken he was home. Old Joe and doctor have long been gone for years but the horse grave remains and the family who now own the ranch paint the fence white every Christmas season and a new wreath appears fastened to the fence. The doctor is buried in town. After the holidays I must call my friend who lives in that area to ask what she remembers about this.

7 comments:

jack69 said...

I like a good true touching story. I have no doubt this is true. I have read similar stories from my family in Georgia. Puts more credence in "The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh......"

Thanks for a good Christmas story. Of course no one ever expects those days to return, but there were some dedicated doctors in this world.
Love from Florida...

Chatty Crone said...

Very interesting story there Paula. I always learn something reading others posts.
Merry Christmas to you.
sandie

Sharon said...

Interesting story. I guess horses are known to take whoever home with them.

TexWisGirl said...

i loved it. :)

~mel said...

Old Joe ~ what a great story... thanks for sharing :)

Helen said...

Doc should have been placed near old Joe.They were probably together most of their lives.
Merry Christmas to you, John and your families.

Lynne said...

Loved this story, and hope you will do a follow-up after talking to your friend. :-)