This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Friday, February 3, 2017

Peep Holes

Thank you LV for mentioning your peep hole. It reminded me of the peep hole I invented and my deceased husband built for me when we lived in San Antonio. Our neighborhood was a quiet old neighborhood when we moved there in 1959. In the years to come the street was widened and made into a through fare from one side of town to the other so it became a very busy street with sidewalks and two lanes each direction and even bus service. There were times when people would have car trouble and stop at our house to ask to use the water hose for their car or use the phone etc. since we had a corner lot it was easier to stop there. My husband worked long hours and was even out of town at times. I ask him to build me a way to answer the door without opening it. To be helpful without putting myself in danger. I ask him to drill a hole in the wall beside the door large enough for me to see who was standing on the porch and hear what they were saying and for them to hear me. So he drilled a round opening several inches wide. On the inside he built a cute little door with a knob for me to open and on the outside he installed a black radio grill so I could see and hear and they could hear me but not see me so well. It worked very well and I might add I entered it in a Spring Fix Up contest at a hardware store and it won first place. The prize being a coupon for several hundred dollars to that store. I was able to buy enough lumber to add a small room on the back porch to move my hot water heater and my washer out there from my kitchen. Isn't it amazing how one comment can trigger a huge memory? I have many more of when this street was made into the wide avenue from a narrow residential quiet street.

3 comments:

jack69 said...

Ahh what a memory. I have liked Mel ever since I heard of him in a deer stand and you counting spiders or something. hahahahaah I know he was a mr. fix it.
Thanks for a good read!

Sharon said...

That sounds like a marvelous little project. Your husband was quite the guy. I know about that alone thing ...

TARYTERRE said...

How neat is that. A clever invention that proved more than helpful to you. Sweet memories.