This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Monday, November 13, 2017

Down On The Farm

Since John can't work or drive any longer he is the one who wants to go riding all time. Me not so much, but I do so he can get out some. When we get on the little country roads where there is no traffic I drive slow enough for him to count the fence wires and see if they need "fixin". We started out where he wanted to go to see where it goes. Turns out it was a dead end and we had been there before. So I turned on a road I don't think we had been on before and that is hard to find. We went so far we didn't know where we were and kept guessing which town we would come in to. We passed the neatest tiny cemetery, for family only, I presume. The name on the gate read "Down On The Farm Cemetery". It was outlined with cement and had about three graves with head stones. One shade tree had lots of wind chimes hanging from the limbs and bird houses. There were a couple of benches and other decorations. I notice there are more and more ranches installing their own private cemetery. I don't know how that would be when the day comes to sell the property. I guess they would have to leave access to the  graves and they probably are thinking they will never sell but things do change. I don't know how much red tape they have to go through to install one of these but I'm sure there is some. I wish I would have stopped to take a picture because I'm not sure I could ever find it again unless by accident.

14 comments:

Jon said...

The older I get, the less I like driving - but it's still fun to go out and discover unfamiliar, out-of-the-way places.

I really like the idea of private cemeteries, but - as you said - there must be a lot of red tape involved. I think "Down on the Farm Cemetery" is a charming name.

TARYTERRE said...

i think a "Down On The Farm Cemetery" sounds nice and quaint. amazing what you can discover on a leisurely drive in the country.

jack69 said...

I always enjoy how you can bring a trip to life. The cemetery sounds fascinating. BUT I am sure there is a lot of red tape as you say (especially nowadays). That takes REAL LONG TERM planning.
The best to you and John. I think everyone loves to go riding with you guys.

Martha said...

That is a very awkward thing if and when they do sell, and like you said, things do change.

Chatty Crone said...

It is nice that you take John out and explore. I didn't think you could bury people on your property and I don't think you can mess with graves. I think that a lot of $$$$ was spent.

Paula said...

I know of several ranches here who have a small cemetery on their property. My best friend's brother being one. If she was alive I would ask her what they had to do to be able to do that. One grave near John's hometown where the young man got killed by his hunting partner while hunting wild hogs. A country music star (whom I won't name) was present at that funeral. I can think of a couple more. It may be different from state to state.

Rose said...

I was so wishing there would be a photo at the end of this! I do wander about what will happen if the place is ever sold...

Paula said...

I'm sure the little cemetery will have to remain as is. My deceased husband's family has a small cemetery in San Antonio where a housing addition grew up around it. The people who moved in wanted the cemetery gone but they were not able to do that. It has a high fence with a locked gate. Only a few very old graves there.

Hootin Anni said...

Interesting thst you found a road not traveled by you two and a unknown family plot. Even tho there wasmn't a chance to get a picture...I have one in my head

Hootin Anni said...

thst=that

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Sounds like a nice place. I would think it would be very hard to get permission to have a cemetery on your land. Although I have known people who buried ashes on their land.

troutbirder said...

I'm doing all the driving these days in my caretaker role as long trips and away from "support" is too risky. Still we take a lot of "rides" in Bluff Countries beautiful back roads, hills and valley's. Thanks for stopping by my nature blog...:)

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

One time when I was out with our boy, we came across a private family cemetery, and some of the graves had homemade markers made from cement with marbles embedded. It was quite unique and like you, I doubt I could ever find it again.

Rose said...

Just popping back by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!