This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Do You Throw Your Masa Down The Drain?

I don't, because I don't make tamales, but if I did make tamales probably some of the masa would get spilled in the sink and go down the drain. I would think like a lot of people--just run lots of very hot water down and that will take care of it. Not so I learned today. This time of year masa in the drains cause city utilities a lot of headaches. Sticking in the pipes like cement. I've ate my share of tamales but never wanted to make my own. Lots of hard work and hot work usually here in south Texas. I've never heard this warning before. I wonder why it took so many years for someone to give out this warning. Is there anyone here in blogs who have made tamales? Do people eat them in your state like we do here in south Texas? If you do eat them what do you eat with them or on them? I like a slice of bread and a slice of onion with mine and John douses his with catsup. He would like chili on them but we can't wait that long to make some or open a can. When we get home with a dozen of hot tamales we're ready to eat. Humm good.

7 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

we eat our tamales with salsa, gucamole and sour cream. i usually let someone else make them and i buy them.

Jon said...

I love tamales but never tried to make them. I also never heard about the drain problem with masa. When I lived in West Texas the Mexicans always made tamales for Christmas Eve, which is a nice tradition.

When I was in my early 20's I used to have a duodenal ulcer and couldn't eat salsa - so I would put catsup on my tamales instead. I got so used to it that I still put catsup on them!

jack69 said...

I am not a tamale guy. So we have never made them, but having cleaned a lot of drains I can believe the 'flour' or what ever it takes, could definitely hang on to the pipes.

I probably never gave them a fair shake. I bought my first one in Biloxi MS from a street vender, and ate it the way he handed it to me. Sherry says we have bought them in cans. I don't remember. But I do like the S/W food.

jack69 said...

I am not a tamale guy. So we have never made them, but having cleaned a lot of drains I can believe the 'flour' or what ever it takes, could definitely hang on to the pipes.

I probably never gave them a fair shake. I bought my first one in Biloxi MS from a street vender, and ate it the way he handed it to me. Sherry says we have bought them in cans. I don't remember. But I do like the S/W food.

Chatty Crone said...

I am not sure what masa is! lol
Have a very blessed Thanksgiving. Love, sandie♥

Paula said...

Are you familiar with tamale?. Masa is what you spread on the shucks and then put the meat mixture in and roll up and cook. We love them and can buy them at the town north of us (Poteet) on Saturdays and Sundays.

Rose said...

I have never made them, and had to look up what masa is...I think mom might have made some one time long, long ago...but I only eat out of the can or at a restaurant.