This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Give A Hoot

Last night when I was just dozing off John was calling me "do you hear that owl " NO. Don't you hear that owl? No I'm asleep, we never have owls in our yard. Then I heard it and you know me as tired as I was I had to get up to see if I could get a look at it. I could barely make out the image of not one but two owls. One on the electrical pole and one on the wire. One would hoot and then the other would answer. After I was fully awake they flew off. Speaking of electrical poles the copper thieves are at it again. Night before last up on the interstate two guys went into the electrical plant to steal copper. They caused an explosion and one was killed. His good buddy drove off with the copper and left his buddy at the scene dead. We hadn't heard of copper thieves in a while. When it was going great guns they stole the radiator out of John's old David Brown tractor and even out of the control box for the garage door opener at the farm house. Oh well new renters doesn't need it they use the garage as a bed room.

11 comments:

Jimmy's Journal said...

I love owls! We have little screech owls in the area and occasionally I see a hoot owl. Most of the neighbors say I'm a little crazy trying to take pictures of them, but I don't give a......hoot!

Good to hear that the copper thief got fried. More power to him!

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

PAULA, back in the 'roaring 20s WHEN I WAS A CHILD, NEW ELECTRIC LINES WERE BEING ADDED IN TULSA WHICH THEN WAS ONLY A SMALLER TOWN, PERHAPS 30,000 POPULATION, WE KIDS GATHERED UP THE CLIPPINGS OF COPPER WIRE TO SELL.
WE ALSO LOOKED THRU TRASH BARRALS FOR 'PATENT MEDICINE BOTTLES' THAT HAD THE MEASURMENT BUILT INTO THE BOTTLE ALONG ONE SIDE.

THEN WHEN PROHIBITION OF ALCOHOL CAME ABOUT, WE KIDS WERE IN TALL COTTON, FINDING FRESH EMPTY WHISKEY BOTTLES THAT HAD BEEN BROUGHT IN FROM 'WET STATES'.
THE LOCAL BOOTLEGGERS WERE PAYING FIVE CENTS EACH FOR THE FRESH EMPTY WHISKEY BOTTLES.
THE PATENT MEDICINE BOTTLES BROUGHT ONLY ONE OR TWO CENTS.
ALMOST EVERY HOME HAD THE TRASH BARRAL OUT BACK AND BURNED IT REGULARLY. OF COURSE WE TRIED TO BE AHEAD OF THE BURNING. sam

Helen said...

Well those owls must have been interesting to see. To bad those thieves had to be thieves. Helen

sober white women said...

I have not seen an owl in a very long time. We see bats all the time. People are stealing copper out here, but so far no one has died from it.
Kelli

Kay said...

Too bad you didn't get photos of the owls. Dumb copper robbers. Risk you life for something like that. Crazy.

jack69 said...

Hoot Gibson! Give a hoot! Yeah, owls are worth waking up for. Interesting creatures.

Too bad about the copper thieves, hard harded to drive off and leave a partner dead.

Terrible about the David Brown Radiator, they got well off of that one. Probably $200. I sold one similar in 1970 for $50.

TAke care. Interesting post!
Sherry & Jack

Lucy said...

Owls are something I kind of like, to hear in the city. It brings a little country to the city. You have a stubborn man like me.

Martha said...

I love owls! When I hear them say "Who who" I always answer and say It's me Martha - I also moo at cows. I know, I'm a little nuts ;-)

Have a great weekend Paula!

Dar said...

Ya Gotta Love Those Owls...
Ya Gotta Wonder Bout the Heartless...
And Ya Gotta Stay Safe...
Bless You Paula and John

Sheila Y said...

We had them stealing copper around here a couple of years back, but haven't heard of any lately. Hope you are having a good weekend. Sheila

Kath said...

What a shame they flew away Paula as you were fully awake.Many men in Enlgand I have heard lately are turning to collecting scrap metal and weighing it in,for extra money.No jobs for them at all and being unemployed they carn't manage on the govenment payouts,so i've heard.They say copper has a very high price paid for it just now,so maybe there'll be a few stories in our local papers soon of copper thefts in this area.What a sad story about the guy getting killed.Take Care God Bless Kath