This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Friday, February 22, 2013

The Subject Is Water or Lack Of It

If you've read about this water drilling rig before forgive me. I know some of you haven't. Way back in the 50's Mel's (my deceased husband) brother and sister-in-law bought a lot in east San Antonio to build a house. There was no water piped in but was promised in a few months so they began building. Several years later (long story, short) they were still hauling water so Mel saw an old water well drilling rig for sale for a few hundred dollars. He bought it and his whole family began the process of drilling a water well for his brother's property. I don't know how they knew what to do but being very resourceful German people they succeeded. The water was not  good to drink but okay for laundry etc. So buying water just to drink was easy compared to before. After several years the sister-in-law grew tired of the old rig sitting in her back yard and began to harp. Mel caught her and his brother gone one week-end and he moved it to our house. Joy of joy! Now I got to look at it but only one neighbor complained. Not to Mel, but to me. She called it an eyesore. I had no clout getting Mel to sell it, give it away, make it disappear sooo Paula to the rescue. I planted morning glories all around it. I kind of grew fond of it until one day a man from the city knocked on the door. His message was to get rid of some stacked boards that had rotted in the very back of the yard but---- he said, the old decorative piece can stay. In the header picture the man in the hard hat is Mel. The old 50 Plymouth was our's.

6 comments:

~mel said...

When you have lemons ~ make lemonade! I LOVE this post. You did what I probably would have done in the same circumstance ... plant flowers:) We had a well pipe sticking out of the ground by our other house and I basically ended up doing the same.

TexWisGirl said...

planted flowers around it. too cool! :)

Jill said...

Beautiful morning glories...perfect solution!

Chatty Crone said...

What a good idea you had - and gosh you are a country girl!

TARYTERRE said...

GREAT story. love the picture too. Morning glories were an interesting choice but since they did the trick, good for you.

jack69 said...

I cannot get over this, Sherry said WE didn't comment on the water well drilling. I DID! But it is not here. Soooo:

I admire folks who will take the bull by the horns and do the job. I think Mel was very industrious, and then youwere just as ingenius to decorate the 'Antique' to make it a piece of art, instead of junk.

Love it. (I know you miss him still)

OH yes and I loved the old cars, I thought the truck might have been an old International.

(((HUGS))) from here.