This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

The Big Turkey That Could

We took a country ride yesterday afternoon to check out the new deer proof fence at the ranch. They have the post up, but looks too wet to finish with the wire. We need those nice rains because we know how hot and dry it can be in the summer here. We took a short cut home on a road with no traffic hoping to see a deer or two and ran into another deer proof fence. I hate them, the deer couldn't go any where if they wanted to. We came upon a big turkey tom wanting to cross that fence. He was running along the fence and then would turn and go back where he had just came from. I'm trying to get my Ipad to make a video. I gave up and was getting out to take a still picture when Tom took a flying leap and over the fence he flew and into the brush. Would have made a beautiful video. As we rounded a corner a Roadrunner crossed in front of us. Recently John had said we never see any Roadrunners anymore. So sad the animals are all slowly disappearing.

8 comments:

Jon said...

It's too bad you couldn't get the video, but I'm really glad the turkey was able to leap over the fence (that's quite a jump!).

Sharon said...

I agree about the deer proof fence, it's one thing to protect your garden, but woods? That video would have been nice ...

jack69 said...

I am amazed at the size of those fences and that so many acres can be enclosed. My mind went tot he old western song when I was a kid:DON'T FENCE ME IN!"
Strange that so many of your forefathers fought against fences out there! Not they have carried it to a new extreme!
Hope you are doing well and your system has settled down....

2023 said...

An area I sometimes drive thru has deer, but I am oddly glad when I don't see them, because I love them so much. Occasionally, one will be by the roadside after having been hit. Rotten(to some), but truthful, that affects me much more than many of the human deaths I just hear about.

TARYTERRE said...

i'm surprised that turkey could get over the fence. they look pretty high. it is too bad you didn't get the video. bet it was neat to see.

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

A good journey for spotting wildlife. I live on an estate, not much greenery where I live - sadly. I enjoyed reading.

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

Hootin Anni said...

Well, at least the fencing is prideful of Texas/Country. That, I like.

I too would love to have seen the video of the turkey trot. Well, maybe next time.

Rose said...

I wish you could have gotten the video!