This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Monday, January 22, 2018

If You Can Still Walk, WALK

Okay I will try again. When my deceased husband was 45 years old he had a bad stroke. It was a bad year for us but he was determined. After much therapy he began to improve so we started walking at night when he got home from work and we were finished with supper. We walked the same route every night rain or shine, winter or summer. It took us exactly 45 minutes for the big circle we made, mostly on sidewalks beside busy streets. Sometime it was so cold someone would stop and offer us a ride as they thought we were walking because we had to. We would explain why we were walking, thank them and continue on. As the first winter became colder we each bought the type of hats that cover even our face with just an opening for the eyes and mouth. Sure helped until we decided to stop at the corner store to buy a loaf of bread. As we started to step into the store we looked at each other and began to laugh as we looked as if we were there to commit a robbery. Off came the hats and stuffed them into our coat pockets. We enjoyed it and hardly ever missed a night. The area was safer then, not sure I would want to walk it now in the daytime let alone at night. we were able to discuss all the world's problems. our problems, make plans, talk about our day and repeat jokes. It isn't the same walking now but I should WALK, do you?

7 comments:

Sharon said...

I'd walk if I could. If you can, you should.
Lovely little memory ...

TARYTERRE said...

what sweet memories of walking. i wish my hubbys and my legs were up to the challenge.... but unfortunately we're not. such a shame.

Jon said...

Paula, I think walking is extremely important. My mother used to walk a lot - until her health finally got so bad that she couldn't. I often walked with her.

When I moved here to the Tennessee wilderness I thought it would be a great place to walk. Unfortunately, everything where I live is too hilly and muddy. Walking is nearly an impossibility.

jack69 said...

WOW I love this entry. I did get a smile out of the 'robbery appearance'. I know you miss Mel. Sherry and I just looked at each other and said practically together, it wouldn't be the SAME ALONE.
Girl, I love the way you can say things. I hope your weather is warming up, ours i,s across the Gulf.!

Chatty Crone said...

Those were very cute and loving stories. Yes I think it is good to walk. I have a hard time with it, but I have an exercise bike that I do ride about 5 days a week for half an hour.

Hootin Anni said...

I walk. Most times alone, other times with Bud. I love to walk. Funny, as I was reading your story, about the winter garb, I was thinking of a robbery disguise...and you continued with my initial thought.

Lori said...

I should walk more than I do. I keep saying I will, but I don't. I enjoyed that story!