This Way To My Blog

This Way To My Blog

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Is Your Name Hard To Pronounce Or Spell?

I read something Sandie  (Chatty Crone) wrote in Facebook just now and it made me think of all the things I've been called since my marriage in 1956. My name is Lieck pronounced Leak or as my doctor had at the top of my records years ago Leek. When someone asks me how to pronounce it  I say Lieck like a Leak in the roof. I've been called many things such as Leach, Like etc.  I'm used to it now and used to explaining but it was quite a change when I first got married after having a common name Morgan which everyone knew how to spell and pronounce. Do you have a hard to spell or pronounce name?

9 comments:

salemslot9 said...

my name(s!) pretty easy
to spell/pronounce
my John just spells
his name automatically ;)

Sharon said...

My maiden name was hard enough, people just didn't know what to do with it. My first married name was a nightmare - at the doctor's office they would stare at my name and choke, and then look up and say ... "Sharon?" Now, a person would think my name would be easy, but no, people learned to sight say words and for some reason they say Quails. I blame an exVP.

jack69 said...

I have had only a small problem Darnel or Darnall for Darnell. I am glad you put this on because I was leaning more to 'Like' with my southern drawl. But I can see the 'Leek'. Makes sense and I am glad you clarified it.

Glad you had a good report the other day! ;-)

Chatty Crone said...

I would not have pronounced you name like that.
My maiden name was Holland.
My married name is Czosek.
Can you take a stab at it?

Paula said...

I have no idea, I would probably say it like it is spelled C-zo-sek? No I imagine that is not near correct.

Paula said...

I didn't mean spelled (dummy me)I mean pronounced.

TARYTERRE said...

what an interesting dilema. sounds like you've made light of it and gotten people to pronounce it ok eventually.

Hootin Anni said...

Well, now it's the spelling that I see misspelled for my name, but when single, mispronunciation AND spelling!!!

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Yes indeed. Even though it was the title of a very popular song once upon a time, people have a lot of trouble with it. My sister will frequently call and deliberately mispronounce it just to hear me laugh.